Skip to main content



  • Students of all ages and from any institution may visit the Reserves if their use is academically appropriate and compatible with the natural area.
  • Instructors of university and college-level courses should apply for a Class permit through RAMS (see the Visit a Reserve section).
  • Instructors of K-12 and continuing education classes should apply for a Public use permit via RAMS (see the Visit a Reserve section).
  • Undergraduate and Graduate college and university-level students may propose independent research supervised through their own institution. Additionally, NRS academic staff can also supervise undergraduate research through UCSD programs and advise on graduate research projects.